Food and Drink: Flavours of Spain
Cosme y Palacio 1990 Rioja, pounds 4.95, Oddbins. A total contrast in style, this defiantly Spanish, old-gold, old-fashioned rioja is powerfully butterscotchy with a sherry-ish whiff and fine, underlying, oaky fruit; good as an aperitif or with food.
Vina Herminia Lagunilla Reserva 1985, Rioja, pounds 5.99, Sainsbury's. Garnet-hued, smoky, mature rioja with a soft, strawberryish fruitiness that recalls, surprisingly perhaps, red burgundy.
Las Campanas Crianza 1989, Navarra, pounds 3.69, Oddbins. Good value rioja-like fruit with a hint of vanilla and crisp, strawberry jam fruitiness.
Vina Ardanza 1985 Rioja Reserva, pounds 9.95, Safeway. This fine rioja, which won a gold medal at last year's International Wine Challenge, is on special offer at Safeway during April. Buy two and you will get one bottle of this first class, seductively fruity, mature rioja free.
Tinto Pesquera 1989, pounds 9.99, Oddbins. Pesquera shot to fame when the American wine critic, Robert Parker, described it as 'the Petrus of Spain'. The fruit is rich and fleshy with a mulberry-like intensity of flavour that is supported by a firm tannic backbone.
Life & Style blogs
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Can SkySaga capture the Minecraft magic?
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Coke milk? Coca-Cola to launch premium milk brand called Fairlife
- 1 'Kidnapped boy may have been abused and murdered by VIP paedophile ring,' say police
- 2 Ridley Scott on Exodus, Gods and Kings casting: 'I'm not going to get it financed if my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such'
- 3 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 4 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
iJobs Food & Drink
£55000 - £65000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in their fiel...
£45000 - £52000 per annum + bonus+bens : Investigo: My client, a global leader...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: One of the fastest growing g...
25,000: Sphere Digital Recruitment: CRM Executive – Global Travel Brand – Luto...