Food trends to peak in 2011: special needs, urbanism, on-demand
Friday 22 October 2010
SIAL 2010, the traveling International Food and Beverage Exhibition, ended on October 21 in Paris with predictions for what's to come in the food world in 2011 and beyond.
Many of the insights mirror the International Food Technology (IFT) "mega trends" for product innovation including consumer demand to know what they are eating poses no risks to the environment, the body or others and the exploration of "new, exotic" tastes.
However SIAL hints at three new trends that may track:
- "Handling and new needs": especially for boomers like painful joints.
- "Urban style": a city itself becomes a food trendsetter
- On-demand, real-time product information
And, major players highlight that innovation is going to serve up new tastes, textures and "it" ingredients:
- Tastes: spiciness, fruit & spice combinations, chili chocolate, honey, wasabi, ginger, speculoos
- Textures: frothy, crispy/crunchy (with bits), pearl, multi-texture
- Ingredients: seeds, superfruits (acai berry, acerola, cranberry, wolfberry, guarana, noni, yumberry, blueberry, guava, morello cherry), natural sweeteners (stevia), ewe's and goat's milk, flowers
If you missed SIAL in France, you might want to check out the debut of SIAL Middle East on November 22 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates: http://www.sialme.com/
To read more about IFT's "mega-trends," go to: http://ind.pn/aAVKgs
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6S price: new handset to cost the same, Apple unlikely to increase phones' storage
A daily walk 'can add seven years to your life'
Pansexual: What is it - and when did the word become popular?
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 VMAs 2015: Was Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus' awkward acceptance put-down real or staged?
- 2 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 3 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 4 I like Corbyn, but let's face it: we don't need another white man at the head of a political party
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...