Food trends to peak in 2011: special needs, urbanism, on-demand
Friday 22 October 2010
SIAL 2010, the traveling International Food and Beverage Exhibition, ended on October 21 in Paris with predictions for what's to come in the food world in 2011 and beyond.
Many of the insights mirror the International Food Technology (IFT) "mega trends" for product innovation including consumer demand to know what they are eating poses no risks to the environment, the body or others and the exploration of "new, exotic" tastes.
However SIAL hints at three new trends that may track:
- "Handling and new needs": especially for boomers like painful joints.
- "Urban style": a city itself becomes a food trendsetter
- On-demand, real-time product information
And, major players highlight that innovation is going to serve up new tastes, textures and "it" ingredients:
- Tastes: spiciness, fruit & spice combinations, chili chocolate, honey, wasabi, ginger, speculoos
- Textures: frothy, crispy/crunchy (with bits), pearl, multi-texture
- Ingredients: seeds, superfruits (acai berry, acerola, cranberry, wolfberry, guarana, noni, yumberry, blueberry, guava, morello cherry), natural sweeteners (stevia), ewe's and goat's milk, flowers
If you missed SIAL in France, you might want to check out the debut of SIAL Middle East on November 22 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates: http://www.sialme.com/
To read more about IFT's "mega-trends," go to: http://ind.pn/aAVKgs
Life & Style blogs
'I am a paedophile': Is our approach to sex offenders helping to create more victims?
Scientists discover 'stroke protection gene' – that also guards against heart attack and migraine
Dame Vivienne Westwood: The former Queen of Punk may now be an establishment pillar, but her work is still controversial – and much copied
Parenting gay teens: the book that all parents need to read
Regin: US and UK intelligence services could be responsible for snooping spyware
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 4 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
- 5 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: One of the fastest growing g...
25,000: Sphere Digital Recruitment: CRM Executive – Global Travel Brand – Luto...
£50000 - £55000 per annum: Investigo: A growing group of top end restaurants l...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...