Foodies, say what?
Tuesday 02 March 2010
Bloggers have been chatting about mispronounced foodie words since The Stew, a Chicago food and wine blog by the
Chicago Tribune, released their top ten list on February 22.
The Village Voice, a free newspaper all about New York City happenings, decided to expand the list from 10 to 43. Here are the words with phonetic pronunciations so there is no excuse the next time you need to order:
The Stew's original ten:
- Bruschetta (broo-SKEH-tah)
- Gnocchi (NYOH-kee)
- Gyro (YEER-oh)
- Huitlacoche (wheet-lah-KOH-chay)
- Pouilly-Fuisse (poo-yee fwee-SAY)
- Mole (MOH-lay)
- Paczki (POONCH-key)
- Pho (fuh)
- Prosciutto (proh-SHOO-toe)
- Sake (SAH-kay)
And, a selection from The Village Voice:
Bouillabaisse (booyah bahss)
Cabernet sauvignon (cabber-nay so-vin-yahwn)
Coq au vin (co-ooh-vin)
Espresso (es-press-o, no ex)
Filet or Fillet (fill-ay)
Ghee (ghee, not jee)
Horchata (orrchata, silent h, roll the r)
Hors d'oeuvres (ohr-derves)
Pinot noir (pee-no nwahr)
Worcestershire Sauce (woos-ter-sheer saws)
The Village Voice: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/archives/2010/02/43_most_mispron.php
Life & Style blogs
Melanoma rates in the UK are up five times on the 1970s
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
How dementia is changing me: My battle with an ever-shifting identity
The 10 Best kitchen knives
It’s a pizza! And a cake!! What’s not to like? (The calories)
- 1 Disabled people are trapped in assessment 'nightmare' by PIP benefits regime, says Dr Stephen Duckworth
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Queen turns 88: David Bailey captures another side of the Queen in birthday portrait
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...