Foodies, say what?
Tuesday 02 March 2010
Bloggers have been chatting about mispronounced foodie words since The Stew, a Chicago food and wine blog by the
Chicago Tribune, released their top ten list on February 22.
The Village Voice, a free newspaper all about New York City happenings, decided to expand the list from 10 to 43. Here are the words with phonetic pronunciations so there is no excuse the next time you need to order:
The Stew's original ten:
- Bruschetta (broo-SKEH-tah)
- Gnocchi (NYOH-kee)
- Gyro (YEER-oh)
- Huitlacoche (wheet-lah-KOH-chay)
- Pouilly-Fuisse (poo-yee fwee-SAY)
- Mole (MOH-lay)
- Paczki (POONCH-key)
- Pho (fuh)
- Prosciutto (proh-SHOO-toe)
- Sake (SAH-kay)
And, a selection from The Village Voice:
Bouillabaisse (booyah bahss)
Cabernet sauvignon (cabber-nay so-vin-yahwn)
Coq au vin (co-ooh-vin)
Espresso (es-press-o, no ex)
Filet or Fillet (fill-ay)
Ghee (ghee, not jee)
Horchata (orrchata, silent h, roll the r)
Hors d'oeuvres (ohr-derves)
Pinot noir (pee-no nwahr)
Worcestershire Sauce (woos-ter-sheer saws)
The Village Voice: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/archives/2010/02/43_most_mispron.php
Life & Style blogs
Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
The Last of Us: Ashley Johnson says she would play Ellie in a sequel
UK police to start seizing drivers' mobile phones after all crashes
Standing my ground: If sitting is bad for your health, what happens when you stay on your feet for a whole month?
Rihanna, Kim Kardashian and me: How Olivier Rousteing is revitalising the house of Balmain
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 4 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...