Foodies, say what?
Tuesday 02 March 2010
Bloggers have been chatting about mispronounced foodie words since The Stew, a Chicago food and wine blog by the
Chicago Tribune, released their top ten list on February 22.
The Village Voice, a free newspaper all about New York City happenings, decided to expand the list from 10 to 43. Here are the words with phonetic pronunciations so there is no excuse the next time you need to order:
The Stew's original ten:
- Bruschetta (broo-SKEH-tah)
- Gnocchi (NYOH-kee)
- Gyro (YEER-oh)
- Huitlacoche (wheet-lah-KOH-chay)
- Pouilly-Fuisse (poo-yee fwee-SAY)
- Mole (MOH-lay)
- Paczki (POONCH-key)
- Pho (fuh)
- Prosciutto (proh-SHOO-toe)
- Sake (SAH-kay)
And, a selection from The Village Voice:
Bouillabaisse (booyah bahss)
Cabernet sauvignon (cabber-nay so-vin-yahwn)
Coq au vin (co-ooh-vin)
Espresso (es-press-o, no ex)
Filet or Fillet (fill-ay)
Ghee (ghee, not jee)
Horchata (orrchata, silent h, roll the r)
Hors d'oeuvres (ohr-derves)
Pinot noir (pee-no nwahr)
Worcestershire Sauce (woos-ter-sheer saws)
The Village Voice: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/archives/2010/02/43_most_mispron.php
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 3 Fight Club 2: Chuck Palahniuk sequel is a 'meta-fictional comment on the cultural response to the original'
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Israel-Gaza conflict: Deadly flechette shells 'used by Israeli military in Gaza Strip’
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...