Foodies, say what?
Tuesday 02 March 2010
Bloggers have been chatting about mispronounced foodie words since The Stew, a Chicago food and wine blog by the
Chicago Tribune, released their top ten list on February 22.
The Village Voice, a free newspaper all about New York City happenings, decided to expand the list from 10 to 43. Here are the words with phonetic pronunciations so there is no excuse the next time you need to order:
The Stew's original ten:
- Bruschetta (broo-SKEH-tah)
- Gnocchi (NYOH-kee)
- Gyro (YEER-oh)
- Huitlacoche (wheet-lah-KOH-chay)
- Pouilly-Fuisse (poo-yee fwee-SAY)
- Mole (MOH-lay)
- Paczki (POONCH-key)
- Pho (fuh)
- Prosciutto (proh-SHOO-toe)
- Sake (SAH-kay)
And, a selection from The Village Voice:
Bouillabaisse (booyah bahss)
Cabernet sauvignon (cabber-nay so-vin-yahwn)
Coq au vin (co-ooh-vin)
Espresso (es-press-o, no ex)
Filet or Fillet (fill-ay)
Ghee (ghee, not jee)
Horchata (orrchata, silent h, roll the r)
Hors d'oeuvres (ohr-derves)
Pinot noir (pee-no nwahr)
Worcestershire Sauce (woos-ter-sheer saws)
The Village Voice: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/archives/2010/02/43_most_mispron.php
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
GTA 5: Christmas arrives in Los Santos as update brings snowball fights, festive jumpers and a homing missile launcher
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 North Korean prison officers 'cooked prisoner's baby and fed it to their dogs', more horrific accounts from UN report reveal
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 4 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...