Foodies, say what?
Tuesday 02 March 2010
Bloggers have been chatting about mispronounced foodie words since The Stew, a Chicago food and wine blog by the
Chicago Tribune, released their top ten list on February 22.
The Village Voice, a free newspaper all about New York City happenings, decided to expand the list from 10 to 43. Here are the words with phonetic pronunciations so there is no excuse the next time you need to order:
The Stew's original ten:
- Bruschetta (broo-SKEH-tah)
- Gnocchi (NYOH-kee)
- Gyro (YEER-oh)
- Huitlacoche (wheet-lah-KOH-chay)
- Pouilly-Fuisse (poo-yee fwee-SAY)
- Mole (MOH-lay)
- Paczki (POONCH-key)
- Pho (fuh)
- Prosciutto (proh-SHOO-toe)
- Sake (SAH-kay)
And, a selection from The Village Voice:
Bouillabaisse (booyah bahss)
Cabernet sauvignon (cabber-nay so-vin-yahwn)
Coq au vin (co-ooh-vin)
Espresso (es-press-o, no ex)
Filet or Fillet (fill-ay)
Ghee (ghee, not jee)
Horchata (orrchata, silent h, roll the r)
Hors d'oeuvres (ohr-derves)
Pinot noir (pee-no nwahr)
Worcestershire Sauce (woos-ter-sheer saws)
The Village Voice: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/archives/2010/02/43_most_mispron.php
Life & Style blogs
Inside A&E: The highs, the lows, and the grief is something that echoes across all hospitals around the world
'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
MIT robots can now clear hurdles as they run
Zara new season styles: what to buy at the Spanish giant right now
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Engineer pictured fixing plane's engine with 'duct tape' by concerned EasyJet passenger
- 2 Two-year-old says goodbye to bin man best friend
- 3 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 4 Remove smartphones from the hands of under-18s and maybe they will grow up to be less dumb
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...