Saturday 23 July 1994
Bruce Burgess first met Bob at a Restaurant Show interview over lunch at Quaglino's. Payton spent the meal comparing the place unfavourably with his own establishment, The Criterion, and saying how much better the service is in the US. 'Bob was on a mission to persuade the British how great America is,' says Bruce. 'So I said, show me.'
First, Bruce had to become accustomed to Bob's little ways. The only vehicle he would ride in was a Range Rover and he required a constant supply of Diet Coke. On aeroplanes, he spent his time working on a laptop computer, designing graphics for a rotisserie chicken concept.
In Chicago, Bob's adopted home town, the pair visited Hooters, a sports bar staffed by well-endowed women, and Lou Mitchell's, which allegedly produces the country's most famous breakfast. But Bob's favourite place was Al's Italian Beef, on the street where Al Capone was born. Bruce couldn't help but notice that all the staff wore guns.
Life & Style blogs
McDonald's is finally trialling all-day breakfast
Apple expands reuse and recycle scheme, letting Android phones be swapped for iPhones
Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
When did the Eiffel Tower open to the public? Six things you didn't know about iconic structure
Contents of women's handbags can be worth more than a small car
- 1 Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 4 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 5 A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection
iJobs Food & Drink
£25,000 - £30,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a fantastic opportunity...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...
£23000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Project Accountant (Part-...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...