Saturday 23 July 1994
Bruce Burgess first met Bob at a Restaurant Show interview over lunch at Quaglino's. Payton spent the meal comparing the place unfavourably with his own establishment, The Criterion, and saying how much better the service is in the US. 'Bob was on a mission to persuade the British how great America is,' says Bruce. 'So I said, show me.'
First, Bruce had to become accustomed to Bob's little ways. The only vehicle he would ride in was a Range Rover and he required a constant supply of Diet Coke. On aeroplanes, he spent his time working on a laptop computer, designing graphics for a rotisserie chicken concept.
In Chicago, Bob's adopted home town, the pair visited Hooters, a sports bar staffed by well-endowed women, and Lou Mitchell's, which allegedly produces the country's most famous breakfast. But Bob's favourite place was Al's Italian Beef, on the street where Al Capone was born. Bruce couldn't help but notice that all the staff wore guns.
Life & Style blogs
Melanoma rates in the UK are up five times on the 1970s
Palcohol: US Government reveals it has approved powdered alcohol
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
How dementia is changing me: My battle with an ever-shifting identity
It’s a pizza! And a cake!! What’s not to like? (The calories)
- 1 ‘Leeds is on fire’: Huge chemical-fuelled blaze on Armley industrial estate leads to hazardous smoke warning for city
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Queen turns 88: David Bailey captures another side of the Queen in birthday portrait
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...