German beer law put forward as world heritage
Saturday 28 May 2011
A group of German brewers, politicians and public figures have called for the country's 14th century beer purity law to be included on the UN's list of "intangible" world cultural treasures.
"This almost 500-year-old law is one of the oldest food and drink regulations in the world," the German institute for pure beer (DIRB) said after its annual meeting on Wednesday.
"It has been the best guarantee for consumers for a very long time of an absolutely pure, tasty and high quality product. Beer is and remains Germany's national drink."
Germany's cherished beer purity law dates back to 1516 and ensures that the country's brewers can only use malt, hops, yeast and water and no artificial additives such as flavourings or preservatives.
Germany however is not one of the 135 nations to have ratified the convention for UNESCO's Oral and Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity, something which the DIRB said should change.
Items already listed by UNESCO include flamenco dancing in Spain, traditional carpet-weaving in Iran, the chant of the Sybil in Majorca, wrestling in oil in Turkey - and French food.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Ukip's official health spokesperson: 'Honestly, I have no experience in health whatsoever'
'Cigarettes, whisky, and wild, wild women'
Deliberately urinating before sex can increase risk of urinary tract infections
Doctors to trial 29-point checklist for elderly patients facing 'unavoidable' death
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 2 Mother of newborn Baby No 59 trapped in sewer pipe told Chinese police she 'heard crying' when she raised alarm
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This airport parking organisation are looking...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Do you enjoy bus driving and are looking for ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: IT Support Technician - Y...