Grape-based vodka to launch at Vinexpo
Thursday 09 June 2011
It's a distinctly Frenchified version of vodka.
While classical vodka is made from a base of potatoes or grains like corn, rye or wheat, a spirits and liquor maker will be launching a new line of vodka distilled from French grapes at the annual Vinexpo show in Bordeaux later this month.
Vodka de Vigne, made by La Liquoristerie de Provence based out of Aix-en-Provence, will be one of 2,400 exhibitors who will using the event as a launching pad to showcase their latest products.
The grape vodka is being marketed as an upscale, premium spirit packaged in what resembles a fashionable cologne bottle and will retail for about €65 ($95).
The grapes are said to lend the vodka a suppleness, subtlety and fruity aroma distinctive from its potato-based counterpart.
It's not the first time a French distiller has come up with the idea to use grapes as a vodka base.
CiROC is made from "snap frost" or frozen grapes that are grown in Gaillac, one of the oldest and highest vineyard areas in France.
The 16th annual Vinexpo runs June 19 to 23 and will gather representatives from 44 countries around the world. The trade show alternates locations between Hong Kong and France every year and in 2009 attracted almost 47,000 attendees.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 5 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...