Grape-based vodka to launch at Vinexpo
Thursday 09 June 2011
It's a distinctly Frenchified version of vodka.
While classical vodka is made from a base of potatoes or grains like corn, rye or wheat, a spirits and liquor maker will be launching a new line of vodka distilled from French grapes at the annual Vinexpo show in Bordeaux later this month.
Vodka de Vigne, made by La Liquoristerie de Provence based out of Aix-en-Provence, will be one of 2,400 exhibitors who will using the event as a launching pad to showcase their latest products.
The grape vodka is being marketed as an upscale, premium spirit packaged in what resembles a fashionable cologne bottle and will retail for about €65 ($95).
The grapes are said to lend the vodka a suppleness, subtlety and fruity aroma distinctive from its potato-based counterpart.
It's not the first time a French distiller has come up with the idea to use grapes as a vodka base.
CiROC is made from "snap frost" or frozen grapes that are grown in Gaillac, one of the oldest and highest vineyard areas in France.
The 16th annual Vinexpo runs June 19 to 23 and will gather representatives from 44 countries around the world. The trade show alternates locations between Hong Kong and France every year and in 2009 attracted almost 47,000 attendees.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
- 2 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 3 Miley Cyrus address Robin Thicke VMA controversy: ‘He wanted me as naked as possible, but I got the heat because I’m a woman’
- 4 iPhone 6s camera: features to include 4K video camera and flash for selfies
- 5 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...