International auction house to retail wine
Tuesday 21 September 2010
On September 20, the renowned auction house Sotheby's launched an online retail wine store.
SothebysWine.com promises "the same exacting standards that we have used in our traditional auction business, with a focus on sourcing excellent wines, in pristine condition and from impeccable sources."
The new site is a change in Sotheby's business model as they "can now sell them directly to you, at a fixed price, in whatever quantity you would like and for immediate delivery."
Similar to go-to wine sites like Decanter.com, WineCommune.com and Snooth.com, SothebysWine.com offers a range of search criteria including ratings, varietals, vintage plus a unique section 'type' that lets you browse through kosher or biodynamic bottles even select wines produced by women.
To date, Christies.com does not have a retail wine section but you can bid live with a click. To see upcoming auctions, go to: https://www.christies.com/livebidding/index.aspx
To search Sotheby's cellars and set up an account, go to: http://www.sothebyswine.com/ or visit the physical retail store in New York City that opened on September 15.
Life & Style blogs
China accused of launching four-day cyber attack on US coding website GitHub
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
The ‘anti-ball crushing’ trousers are so popular they've sold out online
American Apparel gets another ad banned by advertising watchdog for sexualising children
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...