Italian Asti to outsell Champagne for Christmas: study
Wednesday 16 December 2009
Italy's Asti Spumante sparkling wine is on course to outsell French Champagne as revellers around the world toast in the New Year, a study for an agricultural trade magazine predicted Tuesday.
Some 140 million bottles of the festive fizz from Italy's northern Piedmont region are to be corked open worldwide over Christmas and New Year, according to a Deloitte study conducted for Coldiretti magazine.
Asti sales are expected to edge ahead of Champagne, with sales of the prestigious - but more more expensive - Gallic tipple already down 41 percent for the first half of 2009, the report says.
The bubbly gets the patriotic vote, the study showed, with three-quarters of Italians planning to celebrate Christmas with traditional "Made in Italy" produce such as Asti sparkling wine or sugar-dusted panettone or pandoro cakes.
Italians were more attached to home-grown tradition than their neighbours in Europe, where an average of 59 percent plan to buy national foodstuffs for Christmas.
Life & Style blogs
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
NHS patients to be seen by 'doctors on the cheap'
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Wearable chair allows workers to sit anywhere - and could save millions in healthcare bills
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...