MasterChef is 2010's top rising food-related search query
Friday 10 December 2010
MasterChef, Japanese online dining community Table Log and "cupcakes" were Google's top three "rising" search terms in 2010.
Google has released its annual end-of-the year search indicator, "Zeitgeist," which is based on the aggregation of billions of terms typed into its search engine in 2010. The top "rising" searches are divided by category.
MasterChef, the BBC-produced television series originally broadcast in the UK, has attracted major global attention in 2010, especially in Australia, where its 2 nd season's finale episode was the most-watched non-sporting TV program ever. The show has spawned a number of spinoffs (four in the UK, including "JuniorChef" for kids). International versions include Australia (launched in 2009, entered its second season in 2010), the U.S. (2010, co-hosted and produced by Gordon Ramsay), India (2010) and New Zealand (2010). There are local adaptations in at least 10 other countries, many which debuted in 2010.
Table Log is virtually unknown outside of Japan, but is the local equivalent of Yelp or TripAdvisor for restaurant reviews and listings. The site also features rankings - its most recent is "Top100 Hamburgers" and before this it featured "Top 100 Yakitori (grilled chicken) Restaurants."
Cupcakes need no introduction. As CNN rightly put it in March, "Cupcakes - more passion than trend."
Fastest rising searches in food and drink:
- ???? (Japanese restaurant review Web site www.Tablelog.com)
- Jimmy Johns (American gourmet sandwich franchise)
- ??? ????? ???? (Russian text meaning "how to eat sushi")
- Domino's pizza menu
- Tudo gostoso receitas ( www.tudogostoso.uao.br), a Brazilian recipe site
- Guacamole recipe
- Applebee's menu (American chain restaurant)
- Rachel Ray (American celebrity chef and TV personality)
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...