Microwaveable breakfast foods forecast to decline in Canada
Sunday 01 May 2011
Consumption of salty, savory snacks and items like yogurt and snack bars are expected to increase among Canadians over the next 10 years, while heat-and-eat breakfast items like microwave oatmeal is forecast to decline, says a market research report.
The study, "A Look into the Future of Eating - Canadian Marketplace," released this week by the NPD Group, also found generational differences of consumption among Canadians, with younger consumers expected to skip meals and older generations expected to eat more heat-and-eat convenience foods.
Over the next 10 years, members of Canada's youngest generation, termed Post Millenials - those born 1993 to present - will eschew the conventional three-meal-a-day routine and skip meals across the day, the report said.
Generation X, born between 1967 and 1975, is expected to increase consumption of simple breakfast foods, meat entrées or "center-of-plate proteins," and easy convenience meals.
And Canada's baby boomers - born 1947 to 1955 - are expected to consume more convenience, heat-and-eat foods as they age.
The Canadian forecast differs sharply with the American version, which found the opposite trend, where heat-and-eat or microwaveable breakfast foods are forecast to grow by 13 percent in the next decade.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
- 2 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 3 Miley Cyrus address Robin Thicke VMA controversy: ‘He wanted me as naked as possible, but I got the heat because I’m a woman’
- 4 iPhone 6s camera: features to include 4K video camera and flash for selfies
- 5 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...