Mister Donut store falls foul of Taiwan odour inspectors
Sunday 17 October 2010
A Mister Donut store in Taiwan has been fined thousands of dollars for "smell pollution" after neighbours complained that the aroma of the sweet fried pastries was overpowering, an official said Thursday.
The shop operated by food giant President Chain Store Corp. must pay 100,000 Taiwan dollars (3,300 US) after inspectors checked out the complaints, showing that it is not only bad smells which fall foul of environmental regulations, the Taipei city official told AFP.
"Our team of odour inspectors ruled that the smell from the store was above regulated level after receiving complaints from nearby residents that it was too much for them," she said.
Previously such fines have been imposed mainly on companies which most people would agree emitted a disagreeable smell, such as eateries offering "stinky tofu", or deep-fried bean curd.
The Taipei odour inspectors have no sophisticated equipment to guide them, but rely on their noses. However, they operate in groups of six to ensure the fairness of their findings.
Life & Style blogs
Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name in favour of its Lumia brand
Fake goats’ cheese found in supermarkets
Alternatives to cow’s milk can cause Vitamin D deficiency
Handy hacks that make life easier: New book reveals how to rid your inbox of spam, protect your passwords and amplify your iPhone
St Bees in Cumbria named best place to raise a family in the UK
- 1 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name in favour of its Lumia brand
- 2 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Couple die within 28 hours of each other after being married for 73 years
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 50k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a SCRUM Master to joi...
£13,520: Recruitment Genius: As this role can be customer facing at times, the...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A successful entertainment, even...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A fantastic opportunity h...