Are you a wine buff? Or just a wine bluffer?
A quarter of young drinkers claim to know more than they actually do. Take our test (answers at bottom of page)
Sunday 14 April 2013
A survey of young wine drinkers has revealed that one in four pretends to know more than they actually do. The bluffers were caught out when they claimed to hate chardonnay, but liked a glass of chablis. In fact, chablis is made exclusively with the chardonnay grape. Others said they were partial to the merlin grape, until it was pointed out it is called merlot. We all like to think we can tell a rioja from a rhône, but how much do you actually know? Try our fiendish quiz, and discover if you're a buff, or a bluffer.
1. A wine that has legs has what?
a) Plenty of life in it yet
b) A long time to wait before it's mature
c) A high alcohol content that leaves a film on the glass
d) A long stem on the glass
2. What does ABV stand for?
a) Appellation bouteille vieille
b) Alcohol by volume
c) Aged by vat
d) Amazing beaujolais value
3. The pinot noir grape is a component of which wine?
b) Côtes du Rhône
4. White wine is best served at what temperature?
5. Which of these statements about shiraz is true?
a) It's a popular Australian white
b) It's another name for syrah
c) It used to be known as Hermitage
d) It's a dark-skinned grape
6. What is noble rot?
a) An affectionate term for the language of wine connoisseurs
b) A kind of fungus vital for the making of some sweet wines
c) A term that is used to describe the complacency of traditional French winemakers
d) A fungus that kills vines
7. Put these champagne bottles in ascending order of size
8. What happens at a vertical wine tasting?
a) Everyone remains standing
b) The last person still standing at the end wins
c) Different vintages of the same wine are compared
d) Wines are tasted in order of age
9. A wine that is corked is what?
a) In its bottle with the cork in
b) A fine vintage, also known as a corker
c) A light brown colour
d) Off, because it has reacted with the cork
10. What is the meaning of 'Cru Bourgeois'?
a) It's an urban collective of middle-class wine drinkers
b) It's the term used for a winemaker with aspirations
c) It's a classification of médoc wines created in 1855
d) It's a classification of médoc wines created after 1855
1. C; 2. B; 3. C; 4. D; 5. B,c,d; 6. B; 7. C,a,d,b; 8. C; 9. D; 10. D
How did you score?
4-6 Vin de table
10 Grand Cru
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
Life & Style blogs
Hipster hate is everywhere - but is there a little bit of them in all of us?
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iOS 8 download: how to free up space on your iPhone or iPad to install update
U2 album removal tool released by Apple (but you can't escape: Bono is always on your iPhone)
- 1 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 2 iOS 8 is full of shiny new features - but it's terrible news for app developers
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Cocaine and cannabis haul hidden in Vatican car seized by French police
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...