Avozilla to invade Britain: Super-size avocados make their way to UK
Friday 30 August 2013
Avocado lovers can look forward to the arrival of an enormous new variety, five times bigger than the standard size, when it hits supermarket shelves tomorrow.
The rare “Avozilla” – thought to be the world’s largest avocado – comes from just four trees grown by one of the world’s biggest suppliers of avocados in South Africa. But British fans of the fruit will be able to enjoy it as it goes on sale at supermarket giant Tesco this weekend.
The fruit, priced at £3 each, is double the length and five times the weight of the standard variety – on average it is seven-and-a-half inches long and weighs nearly 3lb. Tesco salad buyer Emma Bonny said: “The Avozilla has a fantastic taste with a rich, juicy, buttery texture, and creamy flavour. The ripe fruit is an attractive, vivid green colour – different from the darker-coloured smaller variety.”
Avocados have grown from a niche food to an everyday shopping basket favourite, she said, adding: “Avocados are one of our fastest-growing areas in produce, with a staggering 30 per cent growth so far this year.”
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 2 Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...