Bottle of whisky sold for £60,000
Friday 16 March 2012
A rare bottle of whisky has sold for a record-breaking price of £60,000.
The bottle of Glenfiddich Janet Sheed Roberts Reserve was sold at auction in New York for 94,000 US dollars (£59,335).
It is the most expensive bottle ever sold at auction, a spokesman for the Glenfiddich distillery said.
The 1955 tipple is the third of 11 to be released to the public.
The first sold at Bonhams in Edinburgh in December for a record-breaking £46,850, topping the previous world record of just under £30,000 for a bottle of single malt.
The second was bought by an anonymous bidder at the Honourable Artillery Company in London for £44,000.
The 11 bottles of the whisky are being released to honour Janet Sheed Roberts, the granddaughter of William Grant who founded the Glenfiddich distillery 125 years ago.
Mrs Roberts, who celebrated her 110th birthday in August, is the oldest living person in Scotland, a spokeswoman for the distillery said.
Each bottle of the single malt Scotch celebrates a decade of her life.
Proceeds from the sale, which occurred during a charity event on New York's Liberty Island, benefit the charitable arm of the sustainable development company SHFT.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 There is literally not a single woman in this iPhone 6 queue
- 4 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
- 5 Scottish independence: Tory revolt against 'devo max' grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...