Cheddar maker to abandon cheese business due to rising price of milk and supermarket competition
Monday 03 June 2013
One of Britain’s best-known cheddar makers has ceased production because of the rising price of milk and increased competition between supermarkets.
West Country Farmhouse Cheddar, produced by Denhay Farms since 1959, is stocked by Waitrose, Morrisons and Tesco, as well as many independent retailers. But Jim Loescher, the firm’s managing director, said increasing milk costs and “deep-cut promotional offers” in supermarkets were behind the decision.
Monday was the last day of cheese production at Denhay Farms, but it will continue to sell a two-year stockpile of cheddar that is now maturing.
Between 2011 and 2012, gross profit margins for mature cheddar fell from 22 per cent to 17 per cent. In the same period, the cost of milk production rose by 11.6 per cent.
Mr Loescher said the team will now focus on farming activities and its bacon and sausage business.
Life & Style blogs
US Airways tweet pornographic photo response to customer who complained
Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
Heartbleed: 50m Android phones may be affected, report shows
The pain of IVF: Italian woman vows to keep the IVF babies from someone else’s eggs
Smoking cannabis could change the part of the brain dealing with motivation, according to one new study
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for auction...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 3 Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Scientists warn we've hit 'peak beard': The more people grow facial hair, the less attractive it is
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...