Christmas cooks hit by cranberry crisis
Sunday 02 December 2007
Christmas traditionalists beware. A cranberry shortage after a poor harvest is threatening supplies of the red superberry just ahead of the peak seasonal rush.
Turkey dinners risk being served denuded of their preferred festive accompaniment, cranberry sauce, after a poor harvest saw the crop plunge by 10 per cent.
The price of cranberries, which are grown mainly in North America, has shot to its highest in almost a decade, according to the world's leading cranberry brand, Ocean Spray. Growers have blamed a drought in August and September. US retailers warned that consumers are already stockpiling berries, and British shoppers might well be advised to follow suit. Apparently, they freeze well.
An Ocean Spray executive in the US confirmed there could be pre-Christmas shortages, although the company has pledged to try to ensure that supplies to the UK are not disrupted too badly. If the worst comes to the worst, cooks will have to stick to bread sauce.
Unusually for a British culinary tradition, we must look west for the origin of cranberry sauce, which originated in the US.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...