Djokovic sends donkey cheese market wonky
Monday 10 December 2012
Donkey-milk cheese is not thought to have many fans. But the few it does have are likely to be sadder than Eeyore to discover that all of next year's output has been bought by Novak Djokovic.
The world's No 1 tennis player bought the world's most expensive cheese (around £400 a lb) from a farm in Zasavica in his native Serbia. The farm, where 130 animals are milked three times a day by hand, is though to be the only place to make the Pule cheese, and Djokovic wants to stock it at a chain of restaurants he plans to open.
It remains to be seen whether the news will spark a spate of other donkey farmers hoping to cash in. But those of you feeling like an ass for not trying any Pule earlier, should note that the Zasavica farm is also selling both bottled donkey milk and donkey-milk soap...
Life & Style blogs
Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
Health warning over 88,000 foreign doctors working in the NHS
Baby catches deadly meningitis infection from cat
Kim Jong-ale: How did Ushers brewery of Trowbridge end up in North Korea producing Pyongyang's number one beer - and what did it take to set up a taste test back in Wiltshire?
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...