Djokovic sends donkey cheese market wonky
Monday 10 December 2012
Donkey-milk cheese is not thought to have many fans. But the few it does have are likely to be sadder than Eeyore to discover that all of next year's output has been bought by Novak Djokovic.
The world's No 1 tennis player bought the world's most expensive cheese (around £400 a lb) from a farm in Zasavica in his native Serbia. The farm, where 130 animals are milked three times a day by hand, is though to be the only place to make the Pule cheese, and Djokovic wants to stock it at a chain of restaurants he plans to open.
It remains to be seen whether the news will spark a spate of other donkey farmers hoping to cash in. But those of you feeling like an ass for not trying any Pule earlier, should note that the Zasavica farm is also selling both bottled donkey milk and donkey-milk soap...
Life & Style blogs
World's fastest lift climbs 95 floors in 43 seconds at speeds of up to 45mph
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Face-recognition software: Is this the end of anonymity for all of us?
American buyer seeks £15m in damages over ‘fake’ vintage wine
Irish singer Bobby Fox and supermodel Miranda Kerr sing Elvis Presley’s You’re the Boss
- 1 William Shakespeare's 450th birthday: 50 everyday phrases that came from the Bard
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Pope Francis ‘told divorced and remarried woman there is nothing wrong with her taking Communion’, Italian newspaper says
- 4 Man gives barefoot bus passenger the shoes off his feet
- 5 50-year mystery of the ocean ‘quack’ finally solved by scientists
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...