Emergency: more puddings please, Heston
Rob Sharp is a freelance journalist specialising in arts and culture. He was on staff at The Independent from July 2007 to December 2011, first as a features writer, and then as the paper’s arts correspondent. He has written for a wide range of newspapers and magazines. For more information visit his website, www.robsharp.com or email him at email@example.com.
Monday 28 November 2011
It is the ultimate middle-class nightmare, and likely to cause mayhem in the aisles: Waitrose has sold out of its Heston Blumenthal's Hidden Orange Christmas puddings, forcing desperate customers to bid up to £150 for the desserts on eBay.
The supermarket chain has been forced to order in emergency supplies of the 1.2kg pudding – which went on sale in September priced at £13.99 – mirroring last year, when it also sold out of the product.
Despite the retailer buying three times as many units this year, the puddings have sold out. Now Waitrose has increased total orders of Heston puddings to 10 times last year's figure. The gourmet puddings are being offered on the auction website eBay for up to £150.
The trade magazine The Grocer reported that the supermarket has promised on its online message boards that considerably more stock of the dessert would be delivered to its stores in early December. The chain apologised to customers who could not find the pudding in local stores. In response to one customer who asked whether more puddings would be delivered in time for Christmas, it said: "Demand for Heston puddings again this year has been immense."
One shopper asked: "With weeks to go, will further supplies be forthcoming? Does this signify we will once again witness the £250 pud on eBay?"
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...