Europe has blown annual 'fish budget'
Friday 09 July 2010
Europe is consuming more fish than its waters can provide, leaving it reliant on fish caught elsewhere in the world, a report says.
Yesterday was the point at which the EU blew its annual "budget" for fish, with consumption exceeding the amount sourced from depleted European stocks this year, according to the study by the think-tank, the New Economics Foundation, and the campaigners Ocean2012.
If the EU was to consume only fish from its waters it would run out 189 days into the year – showing almost half of Europe's fish consumption depends on non-EU produce. The organisations are calling for reform of the Common Fisheries Policy to make fishing more sustainable. They say that dependence on fish from outside Europe could damage stocks in other parts of the world.
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
Porn film production likely to stop in Los Angeles after actor tests positive for HIV
The 3D-printed key that can unlock anything
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...