Food: Loaded buns as the burger war rages
The burger continues to have a golden moment in the UK, with restaurants such as Meat Liquor, Burger and Lobster, Lucky Chip, MEATmarket and Dirty Burger turning bread and mince into a gastronomic art form.
And yet, can we really compete with the Americans, whose average consumption per capita of three burgers a week must be testament to their fast-food pre-eminence? We are about to find out whether the real burger kings are from the US or the UK, as one of Barack Obama's favourite American restaurant chains, Five Guys, plans to launch over here. Sir Charles Dunstone, the Carphone Warehouse founder who will open the first of many Five Guys in London next year, has no apparent history of working in fast food, but there are similarities in both businesses' humble beginnings.
Sir Charles abandoned his degree to set up his first shop with £6,000 of savings, initially selling phones from his London flat in 1989. Just three years earlier, four brothers in Arlington, Virginia, opened a burger joint in cramped premises after they were advised to "start a business or go to college".
A blogger friend says a Five Guys cheese-and-bacon burger is "better than any other burger I've had in the UK, apart from MEATmarket".
Let the burger wars begin.
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Windows 10 automatically sends parents detailed dossier of their children's internet history and computer use
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 3 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...