Food: Loaded buns as the burger war rages
The burger continues to have a golden moment in the UK, with restaurants such as Meat Liquor, Burger and Lobster, Lucky Chip, MEATmarket and Dirty Burger turning bread and mince into a gastronomic art form.
And yet, can we really compete with the Americans, whose average consumption per capita of three burgers a week must be testament to their fast-food pre-eminence? We are about to find out whether the real burger kings are from the US or the UK, as one of Barack Obama's favourite American restaurant chains, Five Guys, plans to launch over here. Sir Charles Dunstone, the Carphone Warehouse founder who will open the first of many Five Guys in London next year, has no apparent history of working in fast food, but there are similarities in both businesses' humble beginnings.
Sir Charles abandoned his degree to set up his first shop with £6,000 of savings, initially selling phones from his London flat in 1989. Just three years earlier, four brothers in Arlington, Virginia, opened a burger joint in cramped premises after they were advised to "start a business or go to college".
A blogger friend says a Five Guys cheese-and-bacon burger is "better than any other burger I've had in the UK, apart from MEATmarket".
Let the burger wars begin.
Life & Style blogs
China accused of launching four-day cyber attack on US coding website GitHub
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
The ‘anti-ball crushing’ trousers are so popular they've sold out online
American Apparel gets another ad banned by advertising watchdog for sexualising children
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...