French beef products contain most horsemeat
One in every eight beef products tested in France were found to contain horse by a European-wide investigation into mislabelled meat.
None of the 150 products tested in the UK by the EU contained horse – in contrast to a separate national study which last month found horsemeat in about one per cent of 6,000 samples. However, the European Commission also tested more than 3,000 horse carcasses in the EU, Norway and Switzerland for the presence of phenylbutazone, the veterinary drug known as bute which is banned for human use. Fourteen of 836 horse carcasses tested positive for traces of bute in the UK, while it was present in 0.5 per cent of samples across the continent.
Officials said the high incidence in Britain was down to the testing of every horse slaughtered since February: most other nations tested less than 20 horses. Small amounts of the drug were found in Asda Smart Price Corned Beef last week, but European officials stressed the tiny levels of “bute” found in Europe were not cause for concern.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
The distress of some Zayn Malik fans is real, and they need support, say experts
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 3 WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
- 4 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...