French beef products contain most horsemeat
One in every eight beef products tested in France were found to contain horse by a European-wide investigation into mislabelled meat.
None of the 150 products tested in the UK by the EU contained horse – in contrast to a separate national study which last month found horsemeat in about one per cent of 6,000 samples. However, the European Commission also tested more than 3,000 horse carcasses in the EU, Norway and Switzerland for the presence of phenylbutazone, the veterinary drug known as bute which is banned for human use. Fourteen of 836 horse carcasses tested positive for traces of bute in the UK, while it was present in 0.5 per cent of samples across the continent.
Officials said the high incidence in Britain was down to the testing of every horse slaughtered since February: most other nations tested less than 20 horses. Small amounts of the drug were found in Asda Smart Price Corned Beef last week, but European officials stressed the tiny levels of “bute” found in Europe were not cause for concern.
Life & Style blogs
The mother who never gave up on her child abused by the Oxford child sex ring
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
Amazon’s minimum spend doubled: customers must now spend £20 to get free delivery
- 1 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 2 'Fire at every person you see': Israeli soldiers reveal they were ordered to shoot to kill in Gaza – even if the targets may have been civilians
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
- 5 YouTube social experiment shows just how easy it is to kidnap a child
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£28 - 45k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Accountant is needed to take control of the ...