French beef products contain most horsemeat
One in every eight beef products tested in France were found to contain horse by a European-wide investigation into mislabelled meat.
None of the 150 products tested in the UK by the EU contained horse – in contrast to a separate national study which last month found horsemeat in about one per cent of 6,000 samples. However, the European Commission also tested more than 3,000 horse carcasses in the EU, Norway and Switzerland for the presence of phenylbutazone, the veterinary drug known as bute which is banned for human use. Fourteen of 836 horse carcasses tested positive for traces of bute in the UK, while it was present in 0.5 per cent of samples across the continent.
Officials said the high incidence in Britain was down to the testing of every horse slaughtered since February: most other nations tested less than 20 horses. Small amounts of the drug were found in Asda Smart Price Corned Beef last week, but European officials stressed the tiny levels of “bute” found in Europe were not cause for concern.
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
The truth behind who really buys sex dolls, from the man who makes the most realistic ones you can buy
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Caitlyn Jenner car crash: Driver who died in collision sued by surviving passengers for $18.5m
- 3 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 4 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...