French beef products contain most horsemeat
One in every eight beef products tested in France were found to contain horse by a European-wide investigation into mislabelled meat.
None of the 150 products tested in the UK by the EU contained horse – in contrast to a separate national study which last month found horsemeat in about one per cent of 6,000 samples. However, the European Commission also tested more than 3,000 horse carcasses in the EU, Norway and Switzerland for the presence of phenylbutazone, the veterinary drug known as bute which is banned for human use. Fourteen of 836 horse carcasses tested positive for traces of bute in the UK, while it was present in 0.5 per cent of samples across the continent.
Officials said the high incidence in Britain was down to the testing of every horse slaughtered since February: most other nations tested less than 20 horses. Small amounts of the drug were found in Asda Smart Price Corned Beef last week, but European officials stressed the tiny levels of “bute” found in Europe were not cause for concern.
Life & Style blogs
National Burger Day: all your beefy questions answered
36-year-old skeleton of dead baby found inside Indian woman
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini review: a watertight little brother to the S5 with a top flight screen
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...