Higher prices for cheap alcohol
Monday 03 March 2008
The price of some alcoholic drinks is to be raised as part of the Government's attempts to get to grips with Britain's addiction to binge drinking.
A Home Office review this week will admit that the longer drinking laws have failed to persuade Britain to adopt a more Continental café culture approach to drinking alcohol.
However, Andy Burnham, the Culture Secretary, will resist calls tomorrow by doctors and police chiefs to reverse the 24-hour drinking laws.
Instead, prices are to be raised to dissuade young people from binge drinking. Alistair Darling, the Chancellor, is under pressure to use his Budget on 12 March to raise duty on cheap cider and alcopops designed to attract young people.
Ministers are also ready to change the competition laws to allow supermarkets to raise the price of some cheap beers in unison, following criticism that they were selling strong larger and white cider more cheaply than water.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Paris Fashion Week: Skirting the issue for the stylish boys' brigade
Losing appetite as you age? Try adding umami flavour to restore the 'joy of taste'
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Miss Universe 2015: A beefeater, a yellow tree and an entire hockey game - the bizarre national costumes
- 1 Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
iJobs Food & Drink
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This airport parking organisation are looking...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Do you enjoy bus driving and are looking for ...