Hungry Britons eye 'Super Size' meals
Britons find it hard to resist "super sizing" meals to extra large portions, according to a survey published today.
Almost 70% of people are tempted to upgrade our meals, particularly when the additional cost is just a few pence, the research found.
The poll, by weight-loss and weight-management specialists LighterLife, also revealed that 77% felt the average plate size had increased in the last decade.
Mandy Cassidy, psychotherapist for LighterLife, said: "The research highlights how cheap food, a lack of awareness of appropriate portion size and junk food promotions are tempting British people to over-eat."
More than 80% of consumers confessed to regularly carrying on eating even when feeling full, and 54% admitted they feed themselves and their children man-sized portions.
Professor Iain Broom, medical director of LighterLife and an expert on obesity, said: "Obesity continues to be a significant issue for many individuals and is set to cost the NHS significant amounts of money.
"In extreme situations, by choosing the wrong foods in the wrong quantities it can lead to a dramatic reduction in life expectancy."
:: The OnePoll survey was based on the response of 2,000 consumers in July.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for auction...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 3 Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Scientists warn we've hit 'peak beard': The more people grow facial hair, the less attractive it is
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...