There’s a new crime wave spreading... five tons of Nutella stolen in Germany
German police are searching for thieves who may or may not be overweight and chocolate-mouthed after five tons of Nutella were stolen in the latest global food heist.
The sticky swag, worth almost £14,000, was lifted from a lorry in Niederaula, the scene only months ago of coffee and Red Bull raids worth £55,000.
Once a staple of mafia highwaymen staging Parmesan ambushes, food crime is becoming more common elsewhere as food prices rise.
A New Jersey man was arrested for selling £130,000 of stolen Muenster cheese at a highway rest-stop. In Quebec, three men were arrested for channelling £12m of maple syrup into a sweet-toothed Canadian cartel.
More depressingly, police in Yorkshire warned last December of a rise in “desperation theft”, including that of baby food in deprived areas.
Life & Style blogs
China accused of launching four-day cyber attack on US coding website GitHub
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
The ‘anti-ball crushing’ trousers are so popular they've sold out online
American Apparel gets another ad banned by advertising watchdog for sexualising children
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
iJobs Food & Drink
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...