Trending: Chocoholics get a shrinking feeling
In this age of obesity, McVitie's decision to reduce the amount of saturated fat in its digestive biscuits is to be applauded. But a report in The Mail on Sunday suggests many consumers are upset that the new recipe is less tasty and the biscuits more brittle than their predecessors.
McVitie's is not the first manufacturer whose attempt to comply with Government flab-fighting guidelines has fallen foul of snack-food fans. One noticeable technique is known as the "grocery shrink ray".
Mars was accused of using this tactic when, in trying to meet its own tough calorie-counting measures, it reduced the size of Mars bars rather than change the ingredients. But as the product got smaller, the price stayed the same.
However, the GSR isn't acceptable everywhere. Earlier this year, the United Arab Emirates government – citing violations of consumer protection laws – removed cans of Coca-Cola and Pepsi from shops after the companies reduced their can sizes but kept the same prices.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
James Foley beheading: Twitter 'actively suspending' accounts sharing graphic imagery
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
'Long Live the Nazis' spaghetti dish sold in Taiwan renamed after backlash
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 4 Nicki Minaj 'Anaconda': Singer finally releases predictable video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...