UK winemakers drown sorrows as rain falls
Monday 09 July 2012
The next 10 days will be crucial in determining what quality of grape harvest will be produced this year, according to English winemakers.
Last year's heatwave, combined with a hard winter and a mild spring, helped produce a sensational crop that made about three million bottles of wine. But the wettest June since records began has led to predictions that some producers face low yields in this year's October harvest. Winemakers are hoping for a late burst of sunshine to encourage their vines to flower and help create a good quality, bountiful crop.
Frazer Thompson, chief executive of Chapel Down winery in Tenterden, Kent, said: "The next week to 10 days are the ones that now really matter for all English winemakers."
Life & Style blogs
City traders pay £200 for a quick hangover cure
Stephen Hawking: NHS is Britain's finest public service and must be preserved from commercial interests
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
The Pirate Bay is back — but key staff have left to start a rival site
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cancer treatment to her scientist father over the dinner table
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...