Wet summer set to push up cost of honey
Honey prices could rise after production was hit by summer downpours, it was revealed today.
Bee colonies were starved of food and prevented from "foraging" by the wet July, experts said.
Now the British Beekeepers' Association has warned that prices are likely to rise by up to 50p per 340g pot as a result.
Chairman Martin Smith said the impact of successive drenched summers with cool temperatures had hit the industry.
"Lots of keepers are focusing on rebuilding their stocks of bees rather than producing large honey volumes," he told The Grocer magazine.
Lynfa Davies, secretary of the Welsh Beekeepers' Association, added: "We have had reports where beekeepers have found their colonies to be either starving or very short of food because the wet weather has prevented the bees from foraging."
A 340g pot of British honey typically ranges in price from £2.28 to £4.50, the magazine said.
Earlier this week, Natural England launched a scheme encouraging people to create urban hives and grow insect-friendly plants in a bid to reverse a declining bee population.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Paris Fashion Week: Skirting the issue for the stylish boys' brigade
Losing appetite as you age? Try adding umami flavour to restore the 'joy of taste'
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Miss Universe 2015: A beefeater, a yellow tree and an entire hockey game - the bizarre national costumes
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 2 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 3 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 4 Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy
iJobs Food & Drink
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This airport parking organisation are looking...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Do you enjoy bus driving and are looking for ...