Wet summer set to push up cost of honey
Honey prices could rise after production was hit by summer downpours, it was revealed today.
Bee colonies were starved of food and prevented from "foraging" by the wet July, experts said.
Now the British Beekeepers' Association has warned that prices are likely to rise by up to 50p per 340g pot as a result.
Chairman Martin Smith said the impact of successive drenched summers with cool temperatures had hit the industry.
"Lots of keepers are focusing on rebuilding their stocks of bees rather than producing large honey volumes," he told The Grocer magazine.
Lynfa Davies, secretary of the Welsh Beekeepers' Association, added: "We have had reports where beekeepers have found their colonies to be either starving or very short of food because the wet weather has prevented the bees from foraging."
A 340g pot of British honey typically ranges in price from £2.28 to £4.50, the magazine said.
Earlier this week, Natural England launched a scheme encouraging people to create urban hives and grow insect-friendly plants in a bid to reverse a declining bee population.
Life & Style blogs
Biggest structure in the universe is huge hole, scientists find
Kylie Jenner challenge: Strange lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
Female student 'burned up from the inside' and dies after taking eight DNP diet pills
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils its Doodle and Nessie Street View
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin file for divorce after 10 years of marriage
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bookies now say Ed Miliband is more likely to be prime minister than David Cameron
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
iJobs Food & Drink
£21K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Front of House Receptionist to provide th...
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...