Whisky distilled for 110th birthday of founder's grandchild, sells for £44,000
Sunday 12 February 2012
A rare bottle of whisky has sold for £44,000 – around £1,700 a nip.
The bottle of Glenfiddich Janet Sheed Roberts Reserve was sold at auction in London to an anonymous bidder this weekend. It is the second of 11 bottles to be released to the public. The first sold at Bonhams in Edinburgh in December for a record-breaking £46,850, topping the previous world record of just under £30,000 for a single malt.
The 11 bottles of the 1955 tipple honour Janet Sheed Roberts, the granddaughter of William Grant, the founder of the Glenfiddich distillery. Mrs Roberts celebrated her 110th birthday in August and is Scotland's oldest living person, a distillery spokeswoman said.
Each bottle celebrates a decade of her life.
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
Porn film production likely to stop in Los Angeles after actor tests positive for HIV
The 3D-printed key that can unlock anything
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...