Whisky distilled for 110th birthday of founder's grandchild, sells for £44,000
Sunday 12 February 2012
A rare bottle of whisky has sold for £44,000 – around £1,700 a nip.
The bottle of Glenfiddich Janet Sheed Roberts Reserve was sold at auction in London to an anonymous bidder this weekend. It is the second of 11 bottles to be released to the public. The first sold at Bonhams in Edinburgh in December for a record-breaking £46,850, topping the previous world record of just under £30,000 for a single malt.
The 11 bottles of the 1955 tipple honour Janet Sheed Roberts, the granddaughter of William Grant, the founder of the Glenfiddich distillery. Mrs Roberts celebrated her 110th birthday in August and is Scotland's oldest living person, a distillery spokeswoman said.
Each bottle celebrates a decade of her life.
Life & Style blogs
Childcare 'not just a women's issue,' says shadow minister as she sets out her 'dadifesto'
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Grim second life of the 'breastaurant': The oft-loathed sector is booming in the States thanks to Hooters, Twin Peaks and Tilted Kilt
The 10 Best food processors
Health: When masturbation can be fatal: The practice of auto-erotic asphyxia is often concealed by a coroner's verdict. Monique Roffey looks at a lethal taboo
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 3 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 4 AirAsia flight QZ8501 missing: Search for plane carrying 162 passengers from Indonesia to Singapore suspended overnight
- 5 Game of Thrones is most-pirated TV show of 2014
iJobs Food & Drink
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...