Yes we have bananas (just no potatoes or wheat)
While cutting his way through India, Alexander the Great paused to note that in India bananas were the fruit of the wise man. According to a new report commissioned by the UN Committee on World Food Security, Alexander was perceptive. For as the climate warms, rice and wheat will become scarce. In their stead, the scientists say, the smart money is on bananas.
It would be a shame to wave goodbye to bread and rice, but the 'nana and its near cousin the plantain, both actually perennial herbs, provide consolations. Cyrus Todiwala says their leaves are a fine thing to cook fish in. While the plant's flower is familiar in Vietnamese banana blossom salads. The plantain's centre is also, according to Levi Roots, pretty handy as a stuffing, or for deep frying. But Fanny Craddock suggests you roll them in nuts and jam, stand them in a pineapple ring and place a glacé cherry on the end – wisdom indeed.
Life & Style blogs
How Old Do I Look: Microsoft’s super advanced age-guessing app is terrible at guessing how old celebrities are, too
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
Amazon’s minimum spend doubled: customers must now spend £20 to get free delivery
- 1 Lucy Hawking: Stephen Hawking's daughter writes impassioned open letter to Katie Hopkins about rights of disabled people
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 Russell Brand backs Ed Miliband: 'You gotta vote Labour'
- 4 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£28 - 45k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Accountant is needed to take control of the ...