Young not sure how to boil eggs
The art of boiling an egg still eludes many young adults, according to a new poll today.
People in the 18 to 24 age range are least likely to know how long to soft-boil an egg.
Only half (51 per cent) of young adults correctly said cooking took three minutes while 15 per cent simply did not know, a survey to mark Farmhouse Breakfast Week found.
One in 20 respondents aged 18 to 24 thought an egg took 10 minutes to soft-boil.
Overall, 65 per cent of the 1,950 adults questioned got the cooking time right.
British chef Brian Turner said preparing a healthy cooked breakfast was a basic skill.
"But this survey shows just how far people have lost touch with Britain's food heritage and many aren't capable of boiling an egg or grilling bacon or cooking sausages correctly," he said.
The British Egg Information Service says large eggs should be put in cold water which is brought to the boil and left for three minutes to get a really soft boiled yolk and set egg white.
Market researchers YouGov surveyed 1,950 adults online last month.
The poll was commissioned by the Home Grown Cereals Authority in conjunction with the National Farmers' Union to mark Farmhouse Breakfast Week, which launches on Sunday.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
- 2 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...