The safety of the Nutribullet kitchen appliance has been called into question after some users claimed the popular gadget exploded and “melted” their skin.
Images of several people who claim to have used faulty versions of the gadget, which costs around £100, show their faces covered in oozing burns apparently caused by hot liquid.
Tysha Stapleton, from South London, alleged that she suffered second degree burns after her NutriBullet erupted and released hot juice on her face, neck and chest.
Below: A NutriBullet in action
"It isn't supposed to be hot but it must have heated up on its own and exploded,” she told The Sun
"The pain was horrific. I could feel my skin burning. I thought I was blind. I could see the skin on my eyelid hanging down. My skin was melting off my face. It was unbearable," she added.
The appliance, which can be used to create smoothies, was recently the focus of a segment on Australian program Today Tonight Adelaide.
A critic of the gadget who appeared on the show alleged there is an “obvious design defect that the manufacturer needs to take care of.”
The Independent has contacted Nutribullet for a comment and is awaiting a response. It remains unclear whether those who allege to have been burned by the appliance were using a counterfeit model, or if they ignored advice not to use it to blend hot food.
NutriBullets are marketed as “extractors” rather than blenders as they contain a high-powered blade. The manfucaturers warn the products should not be used to pulversise hot foods as the air cannot escape.
Britain's most popular foods
Advice on the website reads: “'Never put any hot liquids or ingredients in any of the NUTRiBULLET 600, 900 or Rx blending Cups.
“All liquids should always be left to cool completely before you put the ingredients into the NUTRiBULLET 600, 900 or Rx Cups."Reuse content