Ode to the munchies
Thursday 20 May 2010
On May 19, Kim Severson, a food news writer for the
New York Times, caused a stir with her article highlighting pot-inspired meals served up in the late-late night to chefs and restaurant crews.
"Everybody smokes dope after work, people you would never imagine," said Anthony Bourdain, celebrity chef, TV personality and author.
He continued to explain that, "[t]here has been an entire strata of restaurants created by chefs to feed other chefs. These are restaurants created specially for the tastes of the slightly stoned, slightly drunk chef after work." Many that have worked in high-pressure restaurant in a major city seemed to understand what Bourdain was speaking about. So much so that media site Slate tweeted, "Pot-inspired restaurants: Fake trend, or old trend?"
Whether it's a trend or not, if you are intrigued or jonesing for "haute stoner cuisine," you may want to check out the following recommendations that came up in the NYT piece:
- Chef David Chang's Au Pied du Cochon in Montreal with dishes like Poutine au foie gras (French fries, dripping with cheddar cheese, oxtail gravy, and foie gras)
- Chef David Chang's Crif Dogs in the East Village, New York City where you can find a deep-fried cheese steak hot dog
- Kogi Korean taco trucks and Chego! in Los Angeles
- Momofuku Milk Bar in New York City serves up cinnamon-bun cereal milk soft-serve ice cream
- Roberta's in Brooklyn created the breakfast burrito
Watch chef Andrew Carmellini, renowned chef of Locanda Verde in Tribeca, New York City, with friends (respected chefs) in his vlog series "Munchies " to hear about 100-layer lasagna and watch chefs unwind by eating and cooking: http://www.vbs.tv/watch/munchies/andrew-carmellini
Late night television show host Jimmy Fallon joined the discussion without knowing it with his African-inspired tribute to the Hot Pocket, a ready-made stoner delight. To view it, go to: http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/we-love-hot-pockets-51910/1229011
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
Porn film production likely to stop in Los Angeles after actor tests positive for HIV
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
The 3D-printed key that can unlock anything
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...