Ode to the munchies
Thursday 20 May 2010
On May 19, Kim Severson, a food news writer for the
New York Times, caused a stir with her article highlighting pot-inspired meals served up in the late-late night to chefs and restaurant crews.
"Everybody smokes dope after work, people you would never imagine," said Anthony Bourdain, celebrity chef, TV personality and author.
He continued to explain that, "[t]here has been an entire strata of restaurants created by chefs to feed other chefs. These are restaurants created specially for the tastes of the slightly stoned, slightly drunk chef after work." Many that have worked in high-pressure restaurant in a major city seemed to understand what Bourdain was speaking about. So much so that media site Slate tweeted, "Pot-inspired restaurants: Fake trend, or old trend?"
Whether it's a trend or not, if you are intrigued or jonesing for "haute stoner cuisine," you may want to check out the following recommendations that came up in the NYT piece:
- Chef David Chang's Au Pied du Cochon in Montreal with dishes like Poutine au foie gras (French fries, dripping with cheddar cheese, oxtail gravy, and foie gras)
- Chef David Chang's Crif Dogs in the East Village, New York City where you can find a deep-fried cheese steak hot dog
- Kogi Korean taco trucks and Chego! in Los Angeles
- Momofuku Milk Bar in New York City serves up cinnamon-bun cereal milk soft-serve ice cream
- Roberta's in Brooklyn created the breakfast burrito
Watch chef Andrew Carmellini, renowned chef of Locanda Verde in Tribeca, New York City, with friends (respected chefs) in his vlog series "Munchies " to hear about 100-layer lasagna and watch chefs unwind by eating and cooking: http://www.vbs.tv/watch/munchies/andrew-carmellini
Late night television show host Jimmy Fallon joined the discussion without knowing it with his African-inspired tribute to the Hot Pocket, a ready-made stoner delight. To view it, go to: http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/we-love-hot-pockets-51910/1229011
Life & Style blogs
Revenge porn: What is it – and how big is the problem?
Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
Windows 10: Microsoft bypasses 'Windows 9' to unveil latest operating system
The Fappening: After the third wave of leaked celebrity photos, why can't we stop it?
The truth about student sex workers: it's far from Belle Du Jour
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
28,000 to 32,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our client, a hospitality busi...
18,000 to 20,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our fantastic leisure client i...
£20 - 24k: Guru Careers: A Marketing Analyst / Marketing Executive is needed t...
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...