Ode to the munchies
Thursday 20 May 2010
On May 19, Kim Severson, a food news writer for the
New York Times, caused a stir with her article highlighting pot-inspired meals served up in the late-late night to chefs and restaurant crews.
"Everybody smokes dope after work, people you would never imagine," said Anthony Bourdain, celebrity chef, TV personality and author.
He continued to explain that, "[t]here has been an entire strata of restaurants created by chefs to feed other chefs. These are restaurants created specially for the tastes of the slightly stoned, slightly drunk chef after work." Many that have worked in high-pressure restaurant in a major city seemed to understand what Bourdain was speaking about. So much so that media site Slate tweeted, "Pot-inspired restaurants: Fake trend, or old trend?"
Whether it's a trend or not, if you are intrigued or jonesing for "haute stoner cuisine," you may want to check out the following recommendations that came up in the NYT piece:
- Chef David Chang's Au Pied du Cochon in Montreal with dishes like Poutine au foie gras (French fries, dripping with cheddar cheese, oxtail gravy, and foie gras)
- Chef David Chang's Crif Dogs in the East Village, New York City where you can find a deep-fried cheese steak hot dog
- Kogi Korean taco trucks and Chego! in Los Angeles
- Momofuku Milk Bar in New York City serves up cinnamon-bun cereal milk soft-serve ice cream
- Roberta's in Brooklyn created the breakfast burrito
Watch chef Andrew Carmellini, renowned chef of Locanda Verde in Tribeca, New York City, with friends (respected chefs) in his vlog series "Munchies " to hear about 100-layer lasagna and watch chefs unwind by eating and cooking: http://www.vbs.tv/watch/munchies/andrew-carmellini
Late night television show host Jimmy Fallon joined the discussion without knowing it with his African-inspired tribute to the Hot Pocket, a ready-made stoner delight. To view it, go to: http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/we-love-hot-pockets-51910/1229011
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Life & Style blogs
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
GTA 5: Rockstar bans gamers stealing in-game money worth millions
Winter Solstice 2013: Shortest day of the year marked with 'knitted' Google Doodle
In pictures: Christmas in London through the ages
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 - £21000 per annum + Basic salary +incentives: FCm Travel Solutions: FC...
£54000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Flight Centre Glo...
£27000 - £27500 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Flight Centre Glo...
£30000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Flight Centre's e-c...