Really ‘tastes [looks and feels] like chicken’
Tuesday 08 June 2010
Of course it's not. Food scientists at the University of Missouri led by Fu-Hung Hsieh, a biological-engineering professor, have cooked up a new recipe of soy powder, flour and oil to produce a vegan meat product that is as ‘delicate' as chicken.
According to the American magazine TIME to be published on June 14, the new mock chicken is "...not too soft, not too hard, but with that ineffable chew of real flesh. When you pull apart the Missouri invention, it disjoins the way chicken does, with a few random strands of "meat" hanging loosely."
Vegans, vegetarians, flexitarians, greenies and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) that announced the world should become vegan on June 2, can rejoice about a new meat-free product that will trick chicken lovers.
However its carbon footprint has not been computed yet and it can take "a while before it hits market shelves, as the university first needs to sell the technology to a food company."
Watch the TIME clip: "Fake Chicken: Turning Powder Into Poultry": http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,89629092001_1993980,00.html
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
iPhone 6s photos leak shows new phone will be thicker than iPhone 6, could make cases defunct
Women really are more attracted to men who make them laugh, study finds
Worrying about your weight makes you more likely to pile on the pounds, researchers claim
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Refugee crisis: Sweden the only European country with a majority favourable towards non-EU immigration
- 2 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 3 Malnourished two-year-old found being breastfed by dog in Chile
- 4 Bob Geldof offers to take four refugee families into his home 'immediately' as he condemns humanitarian crisis as a ‘f**king disgrace'
- 5 YouTube video shows woman verbally abusing takeaway staff 'because they used green peppers'
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...