Recipe / Last orders of summer pasta
Saturday 17 July 1993
Ingredients: 4oz (115g) broccoli florets
4oz (115g) french beans, cut in 2in lengths
4oz (115g) mangetout
1lb (450g) penne pasta (quills)
Vinaigrette: 9tbs olive oil
3tbs wine vinegar or lemon juice
1-2tsp French mustard
2tbs fresh chopped basil, or mint, or tarragon, or parsley or fennel feathers
1tsp caster sugar (optional)
1 garlic clove, crushed
salt and black pepper
Preparation: Steam or blanch vegetables until brightly coloured and still crisp. Mix vinaigrette in bottom of a large bowl. Season to taste. Add vegetables and toss. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain and immediately refresh under cold water. Add to bowl. Toss. Allow to cool, then chill briefly. Serve garnished with fresh herbs.
Next week, the first of our cooking with mint category. Excellent recipes are streaming in, but new ones are welcome. Send them - stating the source - to Emily Green, Recipe, Weekend Features, The Independent, 40 City Road, London EC1Y 2DB. Those whose recipes we print will receive a bottle of Cabernet Franc 1990 Family Reserve from Francis Ford Coppola's estate in Napa Valley, California, imported by Reid Wines, Hallatrow, near Bristol.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...