Recipe / Last orders of summer pasta
Saturday 17 July 1993
Ingredients: 4oz (115g) broccoli florets
4oz (115g) french beans, cut in 2in lengths
4oz (115g) mangetout
1lb (450g) penne pasta (quills)
Vinaigrette: 9tbs olive oil
3tbs wine vinegar or lemon juice
1-2tsp French mustard
2tbs fresh chopped basil, or mint, or tarragon, or parsley or fennel feathers
1tsp caster sugar (optional)
1 garlic clove, crushed
salt and black pepper
Preparation: Steam or blanch vegetables until brightly coloured and still crisp. Mix vinaigrette in bottom of a large bowl. Season to taste. Add vegetables and toss. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta. Cook until al dente. Drain and immediately refresh under cold water. Add to bowl. Toss. Allow to cool, then chill briefly. Serve garnished with fresh herbs.
Next week, the first of our cooking with mint category. Excellent recipes are streaming in, but new ones are welcome. Send them - stating the source - to Emily Green, Recipe, Weekend Features, The Independent, 40 City Road, London EC1Y 2DB. Those whose recipes we print will receive a bottle of Cabernet Franc 1990 Family Reserve from Francis Ford Coppola's estate in Napa Valley, California, imported by Reid Wines, Hallatrow, near Bristol.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Taylor Swift’s Twitter and Instagram accounts hacked, apparently by Lizard Squad
Scandal of doctors who get cash from healthcare firms for patient referrals
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...