Recipe: Pretty yellow petals baked in a pie
Here is her recipe for a marigold tart made, she says, like a lemon meringue pie. She will receive a bottle of Dolcetto d'Alba Clerico Domenico 1989 from Bibendum Wines, London NW1.
Mrs Brown's Marigold Tart
Ingredients: blind-baked shortcrust pastry in a 6in x 1in flan dish
3tbs fresh marigold petals, from about 2 flower heads (be sure to use only the petals)
3 large eggs
3oz/85g cottage cheese
pinch ground mace
2oz/56g icing sugar
Preparation: Preheat oven to 325F/170C/Gas 3. Quickly plunge petals in just-boiling water and drain. Separate the eggs and reserve one white separately. Mix drained petals with the egg yolks. Sieve together the cheese, salt, sugar and mace. Mix well and add to yolks. Whisk two egg whites until just short of stiff, and fold into yolk mixture. Brush inside of pastry shell with remaining egg white, then pour in the marigold custard mixture. Bake for 20 minutes, by which time it should be firm in the centre.
Mrs Brown says the tart is best served cold, with cream, and adds that you can substitute blue primroses, but that the colour is a little alarming.
Next week our series on recipes brought back from foreign holidays begins. Recipes, stating the source, should be sent to Emily Green, Recipe, Weekend Features, The Independent, 40 City Road, London EC1Y 2DB. Those whose recipes we print will receive copies of Patricia Wells's Food Lover's Guide to Paris and Food Lover's Guide to France.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...