Makes 12-15 biscuits
Sunday 20 February 2011
I have eaten these biscuits since I was a small child. Sweet (but not cloying so) crunchy and brittle when cooked, they were originally made for Australian soldiers who fought at Gallipoli, and have an iconic place in Australian history.
85g/3¼oz dessicated coconut
100g/3 oz caster sugar
A small pinch of salt
100g/3 oz plain flour
1 tbsp golden syrup
100g/3 oz unsalted butter – plus a little extra for greasing the baking tray
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Put the oats, coconut, sugar, salt and flour into a bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
Put the golden syrup and butter in a small saucepan and melt gently over a low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of boiling water.
Remove from the heat and stir in the bicarb. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and mix the syrup in well.
Grease a baking tray and spoon generous tablespoons of the mix on to the tray, well spaced to account for spreading.
Bake on the middle shelf for 10 minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Star Wars BB-8 droid toy is real, should be impossible
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...