Makes 12-15 biscuits
Sunday 20 February 2011
I have eaten these biscuits since I was a small child. Sweet (but not cloying so) crunchy and brittle when cooked, they were originally made for Australian soldiers who fought at Gallipoli, and have an iconic place in Australian history.
85g/3¼oz dessicated coconut
100g/3 oz caster sugar
A small pinch of salt
100g/3 oz plain flour
1 tbsp golden syrup
100g/3 oz unsalted butter – plus a little extra for greasing the baking tray
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Put the oats, coconut, sugar, salt and flour into a bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
Put the golden syrup and butter in a small saucepan and melt gently over a low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of boiling water.
Remove from the heat and stir in the bicarb. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and mix the syrup in well.
Grease a baking tray and spoon generous tablespoons of the mix on to the tray, well spaced to account for spreading.
Bake on the middle shelf for 10 minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
Life & Style blogs
Watching TV after work makes you feel 'guilty and like a failure'
NHS medics are being lured away to Australia by more money, status and sunshine, survey suggests
Xiaomi Mi4: 'Chinese Apple' launches flagship mobile to challenge iPhone
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Condom couture: Latex dresses hit the catwalk to raise awareness for HIV and Aids
- 1 Crash victims in car flattened by shipping container emerge with just minor injuries
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 4 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...