Apple, cobnut and chicory salad with mustard dressing
You can serve this as a starter or instead of a cheese course. The slight bitterness of the chicory leaves and cobnuts makes a nice contrast with the sweet flavour of the apple.
4 heads of chicory, leaves separated, washed and dried
2 dessert apples, cored
40g cobnuts (or walnuts), lightly toasted
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
1tbsp cider vinegar
2tsp grain mustard
1tsp English mustard
2tbsp vegetable or corn oil
2tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
Cut the apple into thin slices, then shred the slices into matchstick-like pieces. Whisk all of the ingredients together for the dressing and season.
To serve, toss all of the ingredients together in a bowl, season to taste and serve on individual bowls or one large one.
Life & Style blogs
Earth Day 2014: Google celebrates Earth Day with doodles of Rufous hummingbird, veiled chameleon, moon jellyfish, dung beetle, puffer fish and macaques
World's fastest lift climbs 95 floors in 43 seconds at speeds of up to 45mph
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Saint George's Day: Google Doodle marks England's national day
Mulberry: To hell in a handbag
- 1 William Shakespeare's 450th birthday: 50 everyday phrases that came from the Bard
- 2 David Cameron's constituency office calls police on food bank campaigners Bishop of Oxford and Reverend Keith Hebden
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Women take on Bear Grylls over 'sexist' male-only desert island show
- 5 Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Concerns grow among search officials that missing jet ‘may have landed somewhere else’
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...