Apple, pear and sour-cherry strudel
Sunday 17 February 2013
Nothing beats the crunch you hear when cutting into a strudel – it's the promise of great things to come.
5 pears, peeled, cored and chopped
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp cinnamon
Zest 1 lemon
75g/3oz sour cherries
75g/3oz dark chocolate, cut into chunks
270g/9oz pack filo pastry (6 sheets)
50g/2oz butter, melted
Icing sugar, for dusting
Single cream, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6. Toss the pears in the flour and cinnamon. Stir in the lemon zest, sour cherries and chocolate then set aside.
Brush a sheet of filo pastry with butter then lay another sheet on top. Continue this process until you have 6 layers of filo. Pile the filling in an even line down the centre of the pastry. Fold over both edges, and fold in the ends to enclose the filling.
Carefully flip over and lay seam-side down on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Brush all over with butter and cook for 30 to 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp. Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...