Aromatic parsnip and honey soup with chestnut shavings
Sunday 21 December 2008
The caramelising of the honey in this soup gives it a great honeyed flavour without overpowering sweetness.
4 tbsp blossom honey
50g/2oz unsalted butter
5 large parsnips (or 7 small parsnips), peeled and finely chopped
Bouquet garni of 1/4 bunch thyme, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 stick cinnamon (tied with string)
500ml/17fl oz chicken stock
500ml/17fl oz milk
50g/2oz cooked chestnuts
Heat the honey in a medium to large saucepan over a moderate heat until it begins to bubble and turn slightly golden.
Add the butter, parsnip and bouquet garni (a bundle of herbs tied together with string), and turn the heat down slightly. Lightly brown the parsnip then add the stock and milk and simmer gently.
When the parsnip is cooked entirely, remove the bouquet garni and blitz the parsnip mixture in a blender until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve, taste and adjust the seasoning with additional salt if necessary.
Reheat and pour into your serving bowls or glasses and, using a microplane or other fine grater, grate the chestnuts liberally over the top. Serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
Apple expands reuse and recycle scheme, letting Android phones be swapped for iPhones
Replica Back to the Future Hoverboard released
When did the Eiffel Tower open to the public? Six things you didn't know about iconic structure
Pacman Google Maps: company offers chance to play classic arcade game on real streets
Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
iJobs Food & Drink
£25,000 - £30,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you looking for a fantastic opportunity...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...
£23000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Project Accountant (Part-...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...