Asparagus and crab fritters with mayonnaise dip
These make great little nibbles with drinks or you can serve them as a starter.
Vegetable or corn oil for deep frying
150g asparagus with the woody ends removed
150g freshly-picked white crab meat
70g self-raising flour (I use Dove's Farm gluten-free)
Enough water to make a light batter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3tbsp good-quality mayonnaise
To make the dip, cut the asparagus about 3cms from the stalks and cook the ends in boiling, salted water for 5-6 minutes until soft. Drain and blend in a liquidiser or food processor until fairly smooth. Leave to cool, then mix with the mayonnaise and season to taste.
Thinly slice the remaining raw asparagus on the angle and mix in a bowl with the crab, flour and enough water to make a thickish batter and season. Preheat about 8cm of oil to 160-180C in a large, thick-bottomed saucepan or electric deep-fat fryer. Drop dessertspoonfuls of the mixture into the hot fat and stir occasionally with a slotted spoon for a couple of minutes until nicely coloured and crisp; drain on kitchen paper. Scatter with some salt and serve with the dip.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
iJobs Food & Drink
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Qualified Lifeguards are required to join a fa...
£19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Based in South Kensington, this prestigi...
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£25000 - £33000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Partner is required to ...