Asparagus and crab fritters with mayonnaise dip
These make great little nibbles with drinks or you can serve them as a starter.
Vegetable or corn oil for deep frying
150g asparagus with the woody ends removed
150g freshly-picked white crab meat
70g self-raising flour (I use Dove's Farm gluten-free)
Enough water to make a light batter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3tbsp good-quality mayonnaise
To make the dip, cut the asparagus about 3cms from the stalks and cook the ends in boiling, salted water for 5-6 minutes until soft. Drain and blend in a liquidiser or food processor until fairly smooth. Leave to cool, then mix with the mayonnaise and season to taste.
Thinly slice the remaining raw asparagus on the angle and mix in a bowl with the crab, flour and enough water to make a thickish batter and season. Preheat about 8cm of oil to 160-180C in a large, thick-bottomed saucepan or electric deep-fat fryer. Drop dessertspoonfuls of the mixture into the hot fat and stir occasionally with a slotted spoon for a couple of minutes until nicely coloured and crisp; drain on kitchen paper. Scatter with some salt and serve with the dip.
Life & Style blogs
Kylie Jenner challenge: Strange lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
International Space Station could be fitted with huge lasers to shoot down space junk
Loch Ness Monster: Google Maps unveils Doodle and Nessie Street View
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Parma, Missouri: 80 per cent of town's police quit after first black mayor is elected
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Google search history can now be downloaded in its entirety, mass embarrassment expected
iJobs Food & Drink
£21K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Front of House Receptionist to provide th...
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...