Asparagus and monk's beard spelt
Spelt makes a great alternative to rice in a risotto-type dish. If you can't find monk's beard, or agrette as it's known in Italy, just use chopped chives and chervil.
2tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
150-200g spelt, soaked for 3-4 hours in cold water
1ltr vegetable stock
150g asparagus, thinly sliced on the angle
100-150g monk's beard, trimmed of any roots and washed, or 2-3tbsp of chopped herbs, as above
100ml double cream
80g finely grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the spelt then gradually add the vegetable stock in 4-5 stages, making sure the liquid is absorbed before adding the next bit.
Cook the spelt for about 30-40 minutes until tender, adding more stock if necessary and seasoning and tasting as it is cooking.
Add the asparagus and monk's beard and continue cooking until the asparagus is tender; then add the butter, cream and Parmesan and cook for a couple more minutes.
Re-season if necessary and add a little more stock to adjust the consistency; it should be fairly wet. Serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
Video claims California will be hit by huge earthquake because of the alignment of the planets — but it’s probably wrong
- 1 10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
- 2 Fifa corruption arrests: Nike reported to be 'multinational sportswear company' at centre of bribery claims over Brazil shirt deal
- 3 Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
- 4 Bahar Mustafa: Goldsmiths Students' Union diversity officer to keep her job after vote of no confidence petition fails
- 5 Photo of wedding guest proposing to girlfriend in front of bride and groom goes viral
iJobs Food & Drink
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...