Asparagus and monk's beard spelt
Spelt makes a great alternative to rice in a risotto-type dish. If you can't find monk's beard, or agrette as it's known in Italy, just use chopped chives and chervil.
2tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
150-200g spelt, soaked for 3-4 hours in cold water
1ltr vegetable stock
150g asparagus, thinly sliced on the angle
100-150g monk's beard, trimmed of any roots and washed, or 2-3tbsp of chopped herbs, as above
100ml double cream
80g finely grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the spelt then gradually add the vegetable stock in 4-5 stages, making sure the liquid is absorbed before adding the next bit.
Cook the spelt for about 30-40 minutes until tender, adding more stock if necessary and seasoning and tasting as it is cooking.
Add the asparagus and monk's beard and continue cooking until the asparagus is tender; then add the butter, cream and Parmesan and cook for a couple more minutes.
Re-season if necessary and add a little more stock to adjust the consistency; it should be fairly wet. Serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
NHS struggling to monitor the safety and efficacy of its services outsourced to private providers
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...