Asparagus with capers, lemon and herbs
This is a simple asparagus starter with a crunchy, savoury and acidic crust. This kind of crust is used a lot in Italian cookery for various dishes, even scattered on pasta.
400g or so of asparagus with woody ends removed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil or melted butter to serve
For the topping
60g fresh white breadcrumbs, lightly toasted
40g butter, melted
40g capers, drained and chopped
The finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
1tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
1tbsp chopped parsley
Cook the asparagus in boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes, depending on the size, until tender, then drain.
Mix all of the ingredients for the topping together and season.
Arrange the asparagus on warmed serving plates, pour over the melted butter or olive oil and scatter the topping over.
Life & Style blogs
Three in every four British men will be overweight by 2030, says World Health Organisation
Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
- 5 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...