Asparagus with capers, lemon and herbs
This is a simple asparagus starter with a crunchy, savoury and acidic crust. This kind of crust is used a lot in Italian cookery for various dishes, even scattered on pasta.
400g or so of asparagus with woody ends removed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil or melted butter to serve
For the topping
60g fresh white breadcrumbs, lightly toasted
40g butter, melted
40g capers, drained and chopped
The finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
1tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
1tbsp chopped parsley
Cook the asparagus in boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes, depending on the size, until tender, then drain.
Mix all of the ingredients for the topping together and season.
Arrange the asparagus on warmed serving plates, pour over the melted butter or olive oil and scatter the topping over.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...