Asparagus with capers, lemon and herbs
This is a simple asparagus starter with a crunchy, savoury and acidic crust. This kind of crust is used a lot in Italian cookery for various dishes, even scattered on pasta.
400g or so of asparagus with woody ends removed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil or melted butter to serve
For the topping
60g fresh white breadcrumbs, lightly toasted
40g butter, melted
40g capers, drained and chopped
The finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
1tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
1tbsp chopped parsley
Cook the asparagus in boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes, depending on the size, until tender, then drain.
Mix all of the ingredients for the topping together and season.
Arrange the asparagus on warmed serving plates, pour over the melted butter or olive oil and scatter the topping over.
Life & Style blogs
US Airways tweet pornographic photo response to customer who complained
Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
Heartbleed: 50m Android phones may be affected, report shows
The pain of IVF: Italian woman vows to keep the IVF babies from someone else’s eggs
Smoking cannabis could change the part of the brain dealing with motivation, according to one new study
- 1 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 2 Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
- 3 Man on a leash in Farringdon, London: Mystery of 'walkies' solved
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Drugs giant GlaxoSmithKline bribed doctors to boost sales, says whistleblower
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...