Asparagus with focaccia and Parmesan
Saturday 20 May 2006
Asparagus as a snack? It's not just for dipping into Hollandaise and creating fancy starters. When the season is so short, it's good to think of all sorts of ways of eating it and as many occasions as you can. This is a kind of bruschetta or crostini and can also be miniaturised into drinks canapés.
300-350g asparagus, woody ends trimmed
A good knob of butter
4 slices of focaccia bread about 8cm x 6cm, or from a ciabatta or similar
1 clove of garlic, crushed
3-4tbsp olive oil
100g piece of Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the asparagus, drain and cut the thicker ends down to about the length of the bread. Coarsely blend the trimmings into a rough purée then reheat in a pan with the butter and season.
Mix the garlic with a tablespoon or so of the olive oil and brush on to the bread. Toast on both sides then spread the purée on to the bread and lay the asparagus on top (hot or just warm). With a peeler or sharp knife cut the Parmesan into thin shavings and scatter over the asparagus, and drizzle with olive oil.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Men who buy sex share 'key characteristics' with aggressive sex offenders, study claims
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...