Asparagus with focaccia and Parmesan
Saturday 20 May 2006
Asparagus as a snack? It's not just for dipping into Hollandaise and creating fancy starters. When the season is so short, it's good to think of all sorts of ways of eating it and as many occasions as you can. This is a kind of bruschetta or crostini and can also be miniaturised into drinks canapés.
300-350g asparagus, woody ends trimmed
A good knob of butter
4 slices of focaccia bread about 8cm x 6cm, or from a ciabatta or similar
1 clove of garlic, crushed
3-4tbsp olive oil
100g piece of Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook the asparagus, drain and cut the thicker ends down to about the length of the bread. Coarsely blend the trimmings into a rough purée then reheat in a pan with the butter and season.
Mix the garlic with a tablespoon or so of the olive oil and brush on to the bread. Toast on both sides then spread the purée on to the bread and lay the asparagus on top (hot or just warm). With a peeler or sharp knife cut the Parmesan into thin shavings and scatter over the asparagus, and drizzle with olive oil.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Karl Lagerfeld shoots Eurovision winner Conchita Wurst in suspenders for fashion shoot
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 A third of employers never check job applicants' qualifications, survey finds
- 4 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
- 5 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...