Asparagus with red wine butter
Saturday 12 April 2008
This is a great little variation on the melted butter theme.
500-600g asparagus with any woody ends trimmed off
For the red wine butter
4 small shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1tbsp good-quality red wine vinegar
Half a glass of red wine
1/2tbsp double cream
120g unsalted butter, butter, chilled and diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Simmer the shallots, vinegar and red wine in a pan for a few minutes until you just have about a tablespoon left. Add the double cream and simmer until it's reduced by half then remove from the heat and whisk in the butter to form a smooth sauce. Season to taste and cover until the asparagus is cooked.
Cook the asparagus in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes or until tender; or you can steam them for 7-8 minutes instead. Serve hot with the butter poured over.
To see Mark Hix's exclusive cookery videos, see http://www.independent.co.uk/hixcooks
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...