Bacon pancakes recipe: Pancake Day will never be the same again
Throw caution to the blueberry crepe with this droolworthy creation
Bacon and pancakes are about as American as soda pop and aggressive foreign policy, but why have these breakfast bedfellows side-by-side on your plate when they can be fused in an ellipse of doughy gluttony?
Setting bacon directly into the pancake, the mouth-watering idea was dreamed up by food brand Aunt Jemima, which ran a magazine ad in 1962 with the instructions:
"Just about the best breakfast that ever greeted a hungry family! And it's as easy as this: Shake up Aunt Jemima batter according to package directions. Place cooked bacon strips on the griddle and pour batter over each strip. Bake 'em golden brown on both sides. Couldn't be easier - couldn't taste better! How about Aunt Jemima Bacon Strip Pancakes at your house tomorrow!" (Picture: Breakfast Blogger)
Here's what you'll need to make them:
(serves 4, or 1 if you're hungry)
12 slices of streaky bacon
500ml pancake batter - from a mix or from scratch (there's more on the perfect homemade batter here)
- Set your griddle/pan to a medium-high heat
- Cook the bacon until it is crispy and try to retain its strip shape
- Wipe down the pan and leave a little grease to cook the pancakes
- Separate the bacon leaving two inches between each rasher (you'll probably need to work in batches)
- Pour the batter over the bacon slowly
- Check the pancakes after a minute and, once browned, flip them
Serve with an indecent amount of maple syrup.
World's most lethal spider found under a bunch of bananas
Rumours that the star wants to move on to pastures new
TV presenter Fiona Bruce seemed a bit startled by the find during the filming of Antiques Roadshow
Comedian says he 'never laughed as hard as I have writing with Rik'
Life & Style blogs
Soylent: Could a slug of nutritionally engineered sludge ever replace the leisurely meal?
Jeremy Hunt tells nurses 'path to lower cost is the same as the path to safer care'
Cara Delevingne photographed naked by Mario Testino for Allure magazine
Dear young men: The old stereotypes of what it is to be a 'man' are a load of rubbish
What lies beneath La Perla's 60 years of luxury lingerie
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientists who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Ebola outbreak: What is bushmeat – and is it to blame for the disease that has killed thousands?
- 3 Star Wars memorabilia dubbed 'bit of plastic' by Antiques Roadshow's Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 4 Russell Brand might seem like a sexy revolutionary worth getting behind, but he will only fail his fans
- 5 Michael McIntyre walks off stage after woman in the front row uses her phone
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 50k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a SCRUM Master to joi...
£13,520: Recruitment Genius: As this role can be customer facing at times, the...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A successful entertainment, even...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A fantastic opportunity h...