Bacon pancakes recipe: Pancake Day will never be the same again
Throw caution to the blueberry crepe with this droolworthy creation
Bacon and pancakes are about as American as soda pop and aggressive foreign policy, but why have these breakfast bedfellows side-by-side on your plate when they can be fused in an ellipse of doughy gluttony?
Setting bacon directly into the pancake, the mouth-watering idea was dreamed up by food brand Aunt Jemima, which ran a magazine ad in 1962 with the instructions:
"Just about the best breakfast that ever greeted a hungry family! And it's as easy as this: Shake up Aunt Jemima batter according to package directions. Place cooked bacon strips on the griddle and pour batter over each strip. Bake 'em golden brown on both sides. Couldn't be easier - couldn't taste better! How about Aunt Jemima Bacon Strip Pancakes at your house tomorrow!" (Picture: Breakfast Blogger)
Here's what you'll need to make them:
(serves 4, or 1 if you're hungry)
12 slices of streaky bacon
500ml pancake batter - from a mix or from scratch (there's more on the perfect homemade batter here)
- Set your griddle/pan to a medium-high heat
- Cook the bacon until it is crispy and try to retain its strip shape
- Wipe down the pan and leave a little grease to cook the pancakes
- Separate the bacon leaving two inches between each rasher (you'll probably need to work in batches)
- Pour the batter over the bacon slowly
- Check the pancakes after a minute and, once browned, flip them
Serve with an indecent amount of maple syrup.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...