Baked yoghurt with figs in syrup (from East India)
Saturday 12 March 2005
200g sweetened condensed milk
200g natural set or Greek yoghurt
pinch of green cardamom powder
1 tablespoon pistachio nuts, cut into slivers
1 tablespoon raisins, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes, then drained
Figs in syrup
4 ripe figs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
finely pared zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2.5cm cassia bark or cinnamon stick
1 star anise
Preheat the oven to 150C (130C fan oven), mark 2. Line four ramekins with paper muffin cases.
Whisk the condensed milk, yoghurt and cardamom powder together in a bowl, then fold in the pistachios and raisins. Pour the mixture into the lined ramekins. Stand them in a roasting tin and pour enough warm water into the tin to come almost halfway up the sides of the moulds. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until set.
Meanwhile, prepare the figs. Put the sugar, 300ml water, the lemon zest and juice, and the spices into a heavy-based pan and place over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then gradually bring to the boil.
In the meantime, cut each fig vertically into four. Add the figs to the sugar syrup and simmer for two minutes, then take the pan off the heat. Leave the figs to cool in syrup. On removing the baked puddings from the oven, take the ramekins out of the water-bath and set aside to cool.
To serve, unmould the puddings on to serving plates, arrange the figs on top and drizzle the poaching syrup around the plates.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + £100,000 OTE: h2 Recruit Ltd: Birmingham, Derby, L...
£55000 - £65000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in their fiel...
£45000 - £52000 per annum + bonus+bens : Investigo: My client, a global leader...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: One of the fastest growing g...