Baked yoghurt with figs in syrup (from East India)
Saturday 12 March 2005
200g sweetened condensed milk
200g natural set or Greek yoghurt
pinch of green cardamom powder
1 tablespoon pistachio nuts, cut into slivers
1 tablespoon raisins, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes, then drained
Figs in syrup
4 ripe figs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
finely pared zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2.5cm cassia bark or cinnamon stick
1 star anise
Preheat the oven to 150C (130C fan oven), mark 2. Line four ramekins with paper muffin cases.
Whisk the condensed milk, yoghurt and cardamom powder together in a bowl, then fold in the pistachios and raisins. Pour the mixture into the lined ramekins. Stand them in a roasting tin and pour enough warm water into the tin to come almost halfway up the sides of the moulds. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until set.
Meanwhile, prepare the figs. Put the sugar, 300ml water, the lemon zest and juice, and the spices into a heavy-based pan and place over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then gradually bring to the boil.
In the meantime, cut each fig vertically into four. Add the figs to the sugar syrup and simmer for two minutes, then take the pan off the heat. Leave the figs to cool in syrup. On removing the baked puddings from the oven, take the ramekins out of the water-bath and set aside to cool.
To serve, unmould the puddings on to serving plates, arrange the figs on top and drizzle the poaching syrup around the plates.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...