Banana and salted-toffee pudding
This is a variation on one of my most popular recipes and I think people love it so much because it's impossible to muck up, no matter what you do. You can overcook it or undercook it and still it will taste delicious. Don't let the bizarre method alarm you – all that caramel topping you pour over will make it beautifully moist and create an irresistible toffee sauce.
125g/4oz plain flour
120g/4oz caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 banana, mashed
100ml/3½fl oz whole milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
85g/3¼oz unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
For the topping
140g/4½oz soft dark brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
½ teaspoon salt
250ml/8fl oz boiling water
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Combine the flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
Add the mashed banana, milk, egg, vanilla and butter and whisk well. Pour into a greased 2½ litre/4 pint ovenproof dish.
To make the topping, place the sugar, golden syrup, salt and water in a small pan and bring to the boil.
Carefully pour over the pudding and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until firm to the touch. Serve immediately with vanilla ice-cream.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
The 10 Best new smartphones
Bollywood star, Shahrukh Khan, accused of choosing sex of baby
Uncooked curry leaves caused mass outbreak of salmonella in Newcastle, say health officials
Stripes set to be big for Dolce and Gabbana as fashion designers get 20 months in prison for tax evasion
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...