Beef shin and horseradish soup
Saturday 23 October 2010
Beef and horseradish is a time-honoured combination; the horseradish grated in at the end gives the rich broth a nice little kick and I've even added a bit of curly kale for a bit of veg. I've used beef shin here but you could also use cheek, brisket or oxtail.
250g beef shin, cut into rough 3cm chunks
1tbsp vegetable or corn oil
50g flour plus some extra for dusting
2 medium onions, peeled, halved and finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
A few sprigs of thyme
1tsp tomato purée
2.5ltrs hot beef stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
250g curly kale, thick stalks removed and cut into pieces
120-150g fresh horseradish, peeled and grated
Season the beef and dust with a couple of tablespoons of flour. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the pieces of beef on a high heat, turning them as they are cooking to give them a nice colour. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a saucepan and gently cook the onions, garlic and thyme for 2-3 minutes with a lid on until soft. Add the flour and tomato purée, then gradually whisk in the stock to avoid lumps forming. Bring to the boil, add the beef, season and simmer gently for about 2 hours or until the beef is tender. You can use a simmer plate for this or transfer it to a pressure cooker. Add the curly kale and horseradish and simmer until the kale is tender. Re-season and serve.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat removed the Best Friends list feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Virtual reality thrusts viewers into the frontline of global events - and puts film-goers at the heart of the action
Fifty years of David Bowie's hairstyles in one animated gif
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cure for cancer to her scientist father
- 1 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 4 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 5 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
iJobs Food & Drink
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...