Beef with white radish and pomegranate molasses
Saturday 02 May 2009
Eating raw beef is an essential part of many cuisines around the world – we've all heard about carpaccio and steak tartare, and the Japanese specialise in many dishes with either raw or seared beef such as tataki.
You need to use very fresh beef for this recipe, and you can use fillet or sirloin.
Pomegranate molasses is a thick sweet and sour syrup used in many middle Eastern recipes; you can buy it from Turkish or Middle Eastern shops and good delis.
400g raw fillet or sirloin, trimmed of fat and sinew
A 12cm-piece of mooli (white radish or daikon), peeled
2-3tbsp pomegranate molasses
With a sharp knife, cut the beef into thin slices (place it in the freezer half an hour before to ease slicing); arrange on serving plates. Cut the mooli into matchstick-sized pieces, wash and dry on kitchen paper. Spoon the pomegranate molasses over the beef and scatter over the mooli.
Life & Style blogs
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
'Game-changing' new way to fight cancer discovered
The busiest Starbucks in the US is also the most secretive - it's where the CIA gets its coffee fix
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 4 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
- 5 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...