Bill Granger recipe: Clam and brown rice miso
Sunday 29 June 2014
You often get a few clams at the bottom of your miso soup in Japan. They give a beautiful salty seafood quality to your soup. With a bit of brown rice and maybe some steamed spinach on the side, I'd happily have this clean, light broth as a weekday meal.
30g of butter
½ tsp chilli flakes
2cm ginger, cut into thin strips
3 tbsp mirin
300g cooked brown rice
100g mangetout, shredded
3 spring onions, shredded
2 tbsp white miso paste
Melt the butter in a wide-based, shallow pan over a moderate heat. Add the chilli and ginger and fry until fragrant. Tip in the clams and pour in the mirin. Cover and steam over a high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the clams have opened. Discard any that remain closed.
Divide the rice between 4 bowls. Top with the clams and cooking juices, mangetout and spring onion. Stir the miso paste into a jug with 800ml of boiling water from the kettle. Pour into the soup bowls and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...